Bar Hill Bridge Deck Lift - 13-16 December 2019
Published: 06 December 2019
Next weekend, 13th to 16th December, we will be lifting the 180 ton, 69 metre middle section of the non-motorised user (NMU) bridge into place at Bar Hill.
The middle section of the bridge will be wheeled up to the junction via a Self Propelled Modular Transporter (SPMT) and then lifted in via two cranes.
To ensure the safe transportation, lift and placement of this section of the bridge, we will be closing the A14 closed eastbound and westbound between Bar Hill Jct 25 (was Jct 29) and Girton Jct 31. This closure will be in place from Friday 13th December 9pm until Monday 16th December 5am.
The local access road between Bar Hill and Oakington roundabout will remain open, as will access to Bar Hill / Longstanton over the new roundabout from B1050 Hattons Rd. The westbound entry slip onto the A14 at Bar Hill will be open but there will be no access to the A14 eastbound.
A summary of diversions and access can be found below
- Through traffic on A14 will have a signed diversion off the A14 at the new Godmanchester Jct 23 along the A1198 and onto A428.
- Any local traffic from Huntingdon, Godmanchester, St Ives, etc. can join the local access road (was the old A14) at Godmanchester and travel as far as Bar Hill, where it will follow the local access road to the Oakington roundabout and Dry Drayton bridge.
- Local traffic wishing to travel further east on A14 will need to follow diversion at Godmanchester onto the A1198 / A428.
- Access to Lolworth village will be remain open from the eastbound A14.
- From Milton / Histon on A14 will not be able to use the Girton loop which will be shut and will be diverted along the A428, north on A1198 to re-join the A14 at the new Godmanchester Jct 23
- From M11. Highways England overhead gantries will advise (providing an incident doesn’t take priority) as far south as Stansted that the A14 is closed between Oakington/Dry Drayton Jct 30 and Bar Hill Jct 25. Traffic will be diverted off M11 at Jct 13 onto the A1303 then A428 and A1198 again to Godmanchester
- Local traffic will still be able to use the A14 to Jct 30 Dry Drayton exit and then over the bridge to the Oakington Roundabout and along the LAR into Bar Hill / Longstanton (or re-join the A14 WB) as currently.