Newsletter - August 2019
Published: 03 July 2019
Bank Holiday Monday
Please note the surgery will be closed on Bank Holiday Monday 26th August
. Normal opening hours will resume on Tuesday 27th August. Keeping cool this summer
Most of us welcome hot weather, but when it's too hot for too long there are health risks. If a heatwave hits this summer, make sure the hot weather doesn't harm you or anyone you know. Tips for coping in hot weather:
- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. You can open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
- Avoid the heat: stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm (the hottest part of the day) if you're vulnerable to the effects of heat.
- Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
The Pharmacy at Willingham Surgery can help with many of your travel essentials, so pop in for some free advice and get stocked up for the summer
From March – May 2019 there were 221 missed appointments
in Willingham Surgery. This equates to 46.5 hours in consultation time lost, at a cost of *£5,525. Please remember to cancel your appointment if it is no longer required so we can offer it to someone else.(*An average GP appointment costs NHS £25).
At our Longstanton Branch there were 61 missed appointments during the same period. Keep Your Head
We all have mental health and looking after it is just as important as looking after our physical health. The Keep Your Head website has lots of info for adults, children, and young people on looking after our mental health www.keep-your-head.com Citizens Advice Bureau
The Citizens Advice Bureau offer free advice and support meetings at both Willingham Surgery and Longstanton Branch Surgery. Meet our in-house Citizens Advice Advisor and get help with
- Benefit Issues
- Dealing with Debt
- Other issues such as employment and housing.
Please contact the surgery for further information as to how you can access this service.
Carers Support MeetingsCambridgeshire Hearing Clinics
Meetings held on the first Wednesday of every month. If you are a carer, please pop along and get some support from other people in the local community. Refreshments provided no need to pre-book and completely FREE! Please contact Sue Lawson at the surgery or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The next Hearing Aid Clinics at Willingham Surgery are on Weds 21st August & 18th September & 16th October from 2:00pm-4:00pm. No appointment necessary, just pop along for your free NHS hearing aid batteries and for help and advice regarding hearing loss.A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment. If we are closed, please call 111.