Swavesey NMU Bridge Installation
Published: 24 July 2019
Over the upcoming weekend the pylons for the new Non-Motorised User Bridge will be moved down from where they are being constructed at Bar Hill down to Swavesey (you’ll have seen the mysterious white structures taking shape up there)
. They will be moved overnight due to their size and lifted into place using a 500T crane, there will also be closures to allow for the installation of the bridge decks and for the attachment and tensioning of the supporting cables.
During the night works westbound traffic will be routed up the off slip for Jct 28 Swavesey/Boxworth/Cambridge Services and then back down the on slip, just around the southern edge of the new abutment.
Unfortunately we will need to have full overnight closures for Eastbound traffic from St Ives Jct 26, as we can’t bring traffic under the bridge while it is being installed and there isn’t an up and over diversion route.
Anyone wanting to access businesses or homes within the night closure should present themselves to the Traffic Management team at Swavesey as usual and will be escorted in.
The upcoming closures this weekend are as follows;
- Westbound up and over and eastbound closure 27th July 19 and 28th July 19 (2 nights) Pylon installation
- Westbound up and over and eastbound closure 31st July 19 (1 night) Pylon installation
These will be followed in the future
- Westbound up and over and eastbound closure 31st August 19 and 1st September 19 (2 nights) Deck installation
- Westbound up and over 16th September 19 – 20th September 19 (5 nights) cable installation
- Eastbound full closure 23rd September 19 – 27th September 19 (5 nights) cable installation